Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Making chocolate at home

Yesterday I posted about making chocolate, but a lot of the equipment the factories use to make chocolate we cannot get our hands on. So I researched how to make it at home.

I came across two basic methods; one that is more advanced using cocoa beans and one that is, for the most part easier using cocoa powder.

Today I'm going to show you both ways, not with making it myself unfortunately, but with two videos I viewed and found helpful.

I plan on trying to make it at some point, but first I need to order the beans or nibs online, I think getting nibs would make it a little easier.

The more advanced way to make it at home is actually using the beans.

They start by roasting the beans and then removing the shells and setting aside the nibs (you can also crack them with a rolling pin then place then in a bowl and use a hair dryer to remove the husks, this is much faster. I do not recommend doing this inside your home. It will be messy).

You then grind the nibs into a liquor, then add the rest of your ingredients then mix or "conch" the chocolate and cool.

*This video isn't the greatest, but he does a good job at explaining the process.




The easier way is to just use cocoa powder with the other ingredients.



*Note: don't use Copha to make it, use cocoa butter for a better chocolate, but you can also use butter.


Both of these videos helped me to better understand the process, and I hope it helps you!

Happy cchocolate making!
-Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment