Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins

While thinking about what I wanted to make for todays blog I tried to think of what I already had in my fridge. I remembered I had some left over apples, so here we are. Let the baking begin.


This recipe yields 12, I got 16 large muffins. 
















While waiting for my butter to get to room temperature, I got all my mis en place, peeled and chopped my apples and set them aside.





















In a bowl I put together all my dry ingredients except the sugar. 





















Cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg, then buttermilk. Once mixed add the dry ingredients, and fold in the apples.





















Put them into cupcake papers (I used silicone) and top with brown sugar. 





















Bake them at 450 for 10 minutes then turn the oven down to 400 and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Mine only took 5. 






















1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 brown sugar (reserve 1/4 of the sugar to top the muffins)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2 large apples, peeled and chopped

Pre heat the oven to 450 degrees. 

Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside. In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugar, add a 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and reserve the rest for the topping. Beat until fluffy, then add the egg and mix well. Mix in the buttermilk gently, if you over mix the buttermilk will cause the mixture to curdle. Stir in the dry ingredients, then fold in apple chunks.

Put the mixture into the tins and bake for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to 400 degrees and continue to bake for 5-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool completely. 




*When making this recipe I used to really large apples and I had apple in every bite, if you want less use two smaller apples or one large apple.



Recipe from: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/04/whole-wheat-apple-muffins/










Happy baking!
-Ashley

4 comments: